Autism Characters

I originally posted this blot article on this website - http://www.nuzcom.com/autism-characters. While writing it, I felt it would be perfect for this website. I hope you enjoy this piece! Until next time.

The new show 'Touch' is still on my mind. Actually, it is the little boy, Jake I think his name was, who is on my mind. Supposedly, he's autistic. I believe it. His mannerisms and the innocence suggests  autism.

Why does he make me think about the characters on television? Well, it seems like on every other TV program there seems to be an autistic or asperger character. Most of them are male, also.

What characters am I talking about and what shows are they on? There is Jake from 'Touch'. On 'Parenthood', there is a boy with autism. Michael Emerson guest starred on that show as a man with the disability. On 'Scrubs', Dr. Cox's friend was autistic. I think Daniel Faraday on 'Lost' was autistic. On 'Glee' there is an  asperger teenager. On 'Days of Our Lives' one of the male kids is aspergers.  I am sure there are more characters with this quirk, but I can't think of any. Those came to me at the top of my head.

Did you notice that only one of those characters is female? For years it has boggled my mind as to why there weren't more autistic female characters. To this day, I still wonder. Autism is not just a boy's learning disability. It's a female's infliction too. It just doesn't seem fair that autistic women aren't represented. I know growing up I would've liked to seen a girl like that on television. I still would.  Autism can feel isolating and make you feel like you're the only one. By having a girl or young woman on TV who has similar difficultieis would be refreshing. It would create a sense of belonging and acceptance. It would show that autistic females aren't alone. I hope someday, there will be more girls in programs that have autism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest update

Life with Merlin

Paulette Mahurin Interview