Books, books, and more books

I am so sorry for not writing in so long! I've been super busy and the month just slipped by. Before any more time has passed us by, let's get to the topic. Books!

Seeing as this is a literary blog, I thought I'd focus on some of my favorite books and their plots. I am an eclectic person and my taste in novels reflects it. While I do enjoy fantasy novels (reading them as well as writing them), I also enjoy the classics as well as chick lit.

So, here is my list, with a little commentary about the story - these aren't in any particular order:

1.  The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien - OK, I'll admit it, I love the whole trilogy, but if I have to choose just 1 book in this series, it would be this piece. This is where everything culminates, the ante has been upped, the heroes are at their most vulnerable states. Here, we 'see' the battles won, our hero's go home, the King crowned, love found, and people leaving. It's a heartfelt piece showing the power of love and friendship as they all band together to find courage to finish their tasks and move on.
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - This is a piece showing a strong woman character who achieves greatness during an era when most women were scene as second-class citizens. Using her wits, she discovers the secrets her lover has. While she suffered through many traumas of her life, she kept her sanity because of her beliefs, morals, and spunkiness - never was there a time that Jane was shown as a victim of her situation. She was a victor through and through.

3. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - This is a story about a girl who was murdered however, it's not the story of death. It's about life. As a spirit, Susie is a lively girl full of vibrant ideas of what her heaven  was filled with. In her world, Susie watches her family as they cope with her murder and try to pick up the pieces. It's a compelling book to read. At times I felt I shouldn't be 'hearing' Susie's story. It seemed quite personal and as if I was intruding. However, something made me keep reading the novel to find out what happens and if Susie's murdered was vindicated by having her murderer was caught or punished in the end.
4. Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg - This story follows the story of a young girl, Daisy Fay, as she grows up in a malt/taxidermy shop. We follow her growth as a wild tween and into a teenager going to a boarding school and finally into an actress and beauty pageant contestant. The writing is humorous and full of a simplistic intelligence that makes this a poignant story for anyone to read. I think we would all understand her yearnings, passions, and dreams, even if we don't have them exactly as she does. 

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - Set sometime in the future, this story set around a man discovering the world around him and how questioning authority instead of just following the rules might do more good than harm. It's a bleak world without books. In fact, any book is destroyed by firefighters. Our protagonist is one of such people. He doesn't see anything wrong with what he does until he meets a girl who's against this book burning and she questions everything. The girl opens his eyes to the truth and he sees how wrong that complete computer interaction instead of working with others and actually being around people instead of doing everything virtually is a much better life. By the books' end, our protagonist is a changed man.

Well, that's it for now. But, I have a lot more books I love. I shall do another list soon! I hope you check out one of the books. Until next time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest update

Life with Merlin

A Better Way