More Books for you all!


It’s been awhile since I did a list of book recommendations, thus I thought I should do another! I love books and have many favorites. I hope you like my suggestions for reading. Let me know what you think.

1.      Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - This YA book mixes the past with the present beautifully. Riggs use of old sideshow photographs adds a depth to the story that makes the book come alive because the photos become the characters in this action/adventure and supernatural/fantasy novel. It is definitely an enjoyable read for adults as well as children.

2.      It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini – This is a story that sheds light on mental illness with dignity and humor. Sometimes, the book is a bit rough to read, but the author lightens the mood with a quip or a minute event that is a relief. Interestingly, I was rooting for the main character, even though he did some shady things.

3.      Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare – Oh the farce and wit is thick within the story. The dialogue is wondrous. It’s scathing and astute. The women are strong and are not afraid to stand up for themselves. The storyline is simple, but brilliant – a woman dresses as a man to befriend a reclusive woman and try to woo a man - but the true masterpiece of the play is in the words. Feste, a fool character, sums up the characters (and humanity in general) best - Better a witty fool than a foolish wit. I found the quote here.

4.      Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling – This book starts showing the characters grow. They are teenagers now and going through lots of changes. Voldemort is slowly gaining power and the threat of him and his supporters are looming over our heroes and heroines. Also, we are introduced to two of Rowling’s best characters of the series – at least my favorite ones -, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black.

5.      Beloved by Octavia Butler – I loved how this book switches from past to present to tell the story. I love how Butler shows the growth of the characters through the times and I am intrigued by how the past affects these characters in the future. I’m a little confused as to why the woman’s arm gets stuck in the wall, but all in all, I enjoyed this piece.

Well, here is 5 more books I like. To see my previous 5, please check out this link. I want to know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest update

Life with Merlin

Paulette Mahurin Interview