A Witty Article


I am sorry for any mistakes – spelling, grammar, punctuation, or  otherwise  - bit I can’t see. I am having an optical migraine. I have no pain, but I can’t see, therefore, I am typing by memory of where the keys are.

Today, I will write about a fascinating article I just read. It was written by Ricky Gervias and is about the differences between American and British humor. You can read the article here. At, least that’s what he claimed the article was about. But, there was more to this thoughtfully, witty, informative piece.

It gave some insight into bring British from the British standpoint. He spoke of the fears and apprehensions British people face about their lives as well as their futures – fears of losing it all, the day taking a down turn, and expecting that prosperity won’t come to one another (even if there is a possibility of it coming). He admits he likes being told to ‘have a good day’, even if it is a meaningless phrase that the British try to avoid at all costs. He would rather have it said than someone seeming to ignore another person by saying nothing at all. Gervias admits to why they use cheeky and sarcastic humor. He claims it is a way to protect oneself as well as showing love. It is a good thing to receive some sarcasm.

All, in all I was surprised by the article. I’m not often a fan of Ricky Gervias – I do not usually get his sense of humor (although, I do not get many types of humor). It often makes me uncomfortable. I find that I am confused by the references he uses as well. His style unnerves me, However, this article was enjoyable and astutely written. He spoke honestly, but frankly – his words were brief, but rich and meaningful. I loved seeing British humor through the eyes of a British man. It made me understand humor a bit better (not just the British type, but also the American type). It is definitely a piece I will recommend (and already have!). I hope you enjoy the piece as much as I did.

P.S. I have actually experienced this sort of humor. The man, my beloved literature and philosophy teacher, is American. He did live in England for a while (I forget how many years) and he must have picked up this sort of humor. The first thing I was told before the first class I had with him was that the more he playfully joked with you, the more he liked it. I turned out to be one of his favorite students because he jested with me at least 6 times per class. It actually filled me with happiness and warmth to receive his quips. He’d often brag on me, as well (he still does). I occasionally get to speak with him and see him – the conversations are always lovely. In March, I even got to dine with him and his family prior to being treated to The Chieftain’s in concert. His Godson is also a friend of mine. I met him at my university, where my teacher taught.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest update

Life with Merlin

Paulette Mahurin Interview