Favorable Merlin Moments



Finally, here is my list of favorite episodes and why I love them. Warning, there are season/series 4 spoilers (even for the most recent episode). The list is longer than it originally was. Do not read this if you do not want to be spoiled.  

1.      The Poisoned Chalice
This is by far my most favorite episode. For me, it solidifies the relationship between Arthur and Merlin. Both laid down their lives for each other – Merlin when he willingly and knowingly drank the poison Arthur when he went against Uther to get the flower and was swarmed by a hoard of spiders. It was a beautiful and poignant episode that truly solidified my love for the episode. I loved how both Merlin and Arthur were so brave in the face of danger as well as how strong their friendship seemed to be right then and there. Oh, how I wish Arthur remembered Merlin’s deed in future adventures because the Prince seemed to quickly forget that Merlin laid down his life for Arthur.

2.      The Last Dragonlord
I feel this is one of the more complex episodes of Merlin. A lot of things are going on, relationships change, truths are revealed, and there’s a whirlwind of activity. Camelot is in a state of chaos. Morgana is missing (due to Morgause fleeing with her so she could save Morgana’s life), Merlin has released Kilgharrah (the last dragon), and he is attacking Camelot. Their only hope is to find the last Dragonlord, Balinor, who incidentally is Merlin’s father. Eventually, Merlin and a wounded Arthur find him. After some revelations and persuasion from Merlin, Balinor agrees. However, he is killed before he can help him. Good news though, Merlin gets the powers of the Dragonlord and saves Camelot. What I love about this episode is that our warlock becomes more powerful. He is fulfilling his destiny of becoming the most powerful warlock ever known. Again, I love the connection between Arthur and Merlin as they shared their longing to know their absent parent. I do wish Merlin had told Arthur that Balinor was his father because when Arthur told him that no one was worth his tears, I felt that was insensitive.

3.      The Darkest Hour (Part 1)
This was an intense episode. I feel it really set the bar for drama and action. The ante was set high. I did not know who would live or die – even with Merlin was not sure he would make it and the show is called ‘Merlin’, not ‘Arthur’ or ‘Albion’. The jokes breaking up the tension was brilliantly executed. They were not over the top, but they were not understated. It showed that both Merlin and Arthur were scared and they were trying to take care of each other the only way they knew how. I felt it was so touching when Arthur told Merlin he was brave. I kind of wish Merlin had told Arthur about his magic then – it could’ve worked. There is not one moment in particular I loved. The whole episode was utterly amazing – the acting was suburb, the storytelling was poignant, and the pacing worked well (it was neither too slow or too fast).

4.      The Wicked Day
This was a shocking episode. I did not expect Uther to die. When Merlin’s magic did not work, my gut cinched. I felt his world crumbling around him – all his hard work in showing magic could be used for good was out the window. I absolutely loved the sword fight Uther had with the would-be circus assassin. It was well choreographed and truly showed Uther’s love for his son. I was sad to see Uther go, but loved how they redeemed the man and brought him back to his former glory. I was so happy to hear Arthur call Merlin his friend. That was quite lovely.

5.      Le Morte D`Arthur
This is another complicated episode of Merlin. More things happened in this story than in ‘The Last Dragonlord’. Arthur is mortally wounded. Merlin sacrifices himself to save Arthur and so does Gaius and Hunith nearly dies due to the pact with Nimueh. I had no idea where this episode was headed or who would be the true sacrifice. I actually thought Gaius would succeed. I hoped he would not and was relieved when he did not die. It was shocking to see Nimueh go up in the lightning strike. Who would have though her magic would have backfired? My favorite moment in the episode is when Uther is tending to Arthur. He is stroking his cheek and cooing sweet nothing’s to the delirious young man. It is such a tinder and loving moment.

6.      A Servant of Two Masters
Merlin does not make a good assassin. He is too clumsy and he came off too eager. He was just bizarre and he seemed to be a laughable parody of a bad guy. Even when he told Leon he was going to kill Arthur, Leon did not take him seriously. That worries me a little because a knight should take any comments like that seriously (at least somewhat). The security needs tightened. Poor Arthur getting interrupted by Gwen and Gaius and revealing all parts to them. That was very awkward feeling. I loved how Arthur was determined to find Merlin, even if it was the last thing he did.  I found the episode amusing and not only did it highlight Colin Morgan’s comedic acting, but it highlighted the other actors abilities as well, plus characters who don’t often interact with each other got to do so, which is always refreshing and interesting to watch.
  
7.      Lancelot de Lac
I have a love/hate relationship with this episode. This is a very important turning point in the story arch. Gwen is gone. Lancelot has died – a second time. And Arthur is unnerved, heartbroken, and very tender. I hope for Camelot’s sake, Merlin can keep Arthur sane enough to rule because the magically induced affair (this fact is unbeknownst to everyone) was really traumatic for the young King. I loved the send off of Lancelot. I was sobbing and had tears down my face. It was the saddest scene I have ever seen on Merlin. It reminded me of when Merlin sent Freya off. Merlin even had the same look. I felt that Lancelot’s thanking of Merlin redeemed Lancelot and showed him in his true self because through the episode, Lancelot was far from the man he was.

I hope you enjoyed this. Tomorrow, I will be posting my least favorite episodes. Here is a hint – they include trolls and horse dung. Let me know what you think they will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest update

Life with Merlin

Paulette Mahurin Interview